I still have a lot of love for my Fuji Instax. I meant to only be very selective and take a FEW photos of things that represent Chinese New Year in my household but behold, a crazy 5 photos for you.
So OK, it's not really that crazy but when a box of 20 films costs you £17...
So OK, it's not really that crazy but when a box of 20 films costs you £17...


So all these things are pretty much traditional in my house. From the door decorations wishing good fortune, red envelopes with money (called Laisee in Cantonese), crates of clementines which are symbolic for good health, burning joss paper for Buddhist rituals and our round sweet box filled with candied fruits. It's the same every year which made me think twice about putting this post together at all but obviously, there was no stopping me with the instant camera.
Right, I'm off for a meal at my grandma's restaurant tonight for more food and festivities!
Happy Chinese New Year!Right, I'm off for a meal at my grandma's restaurant tonight for more food and festivities!
Happy Chinese New Year Winnie, the pictures are lovely and I adore all the red!! When I was in Beijing there was red every where, such a nice colour!!! Hope you have fun celebrating =)
ReplyDeleteBow Dream Nation xx
happy chinese new year ^^ i hope u have a nice meal ^^ i lvoe the colour red and i wish my family were more traditional in that way :3
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese New Year, darling Winnie!
ReplyDeleteƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Gung Hai Fat Choi! Laisee Dow Loy!!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful night, I wish I was with my family - currently at Uni doing work :( xx
Happy Chinese New Year! ^O^
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese New Year! Hope you have a great night, I've always wanted to join in with festivities but always end up missing out. Hopefully I will be able to rope my friends into a meal this weekend! Love the last photo.
ReplyDelete恭喜發財! xx
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese New Year!!!
ReplyDeleteI love this post. Thanks for sharing. :)
http://glamkittenslitterbox.blogspot.com/
Oh Winnie, have the best of times!! And eat lots and drink lots and enjoy lots and lots!! Happy new year to you! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese New Year! Your photos look so awesome. If I remember correctly the first time I left you a comment was on your last chinese new year's post! It's been wonderful to get to know you a little better XD I can't believe film is so expensive there! How outrageous!
ReplyDeleteoh happy chinese year dear. sweet shots. thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeletehope you're having a great week darling
xx
happy chinese new year lovely xo
ReplyDeletei hope you have fun chinese new year celebrations and have lots of yummy food:) now the next step is deciding what to spend your money on!
ReplyDeletemargief
x
Lovely visuals! Ah man I bought a box of 20 fujimax films for £20 :S where did you buy yours?
ReplyDeleteKung Hei Fat Choi!!!
I love those cute little envelopes, even when they don't have money in them. Happy year of the bun bun! x
ReplyDeletehappy rabbit new year to you too hun!!
ReplyDeleteSuch gorgeous red things :)
Come and see my blog :)
Happy Chinese New Year Winnie. I enjoy seeing your pictures and reading about the festivities.
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese new year! I really really must go to china town in Liverpool one year for the celebrations. I can't this year because we're going to Spain booo but maybe next year!
ReplyDeleteKung hai fat choi! Your photos have basically captured my CNY too! Got to love lai see but one day I'll be the one actually giving them out :O ! x
ReplyDeleteGosh, I wish I could see you're pictures better, it's just not the same on a terrible phone. Have a great Chinese New Year!
ReplyDeleteWhat grace.
ReplyDeleteI loved it
Happy CNY Winnie. Have a great time with your family. Hope you get many red packets hehe
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese New Year!
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting to see lots of similarities between Chinese and Japanese culture! Currently there's a bag of clementines at my house too, and Japanese kids also receive money in an envelope at New Year's :) Love the feel of the photos!
Happy Chinese New Year!! Love these pictures: The decorations look so cool. I remember, I used to love Laisee's when I was growing up in HK. They were so much fun to receive.
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese New Year! Wishing this year is full of happiness and luck! did you get a lot of hong baos? :)
ReplyDeletehaha nice!
ReplyDeletegoing to a big cny festival in trafalgar sq on sunday cant wait!
ReplyDeletehttp://nadineahmad.blogspot.com/2011/02/white.html
happy cny to you :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinesse Year for you honey!
ReplyDeleteI always get so interested in this celebration!
LA
happy chinese new year, your photos are lovely! i love how personal your blog is, and getting to see little snippets of your life :) xx
ReplyDeleteHope you had a wonderful Chinese New Year!
ReplyDeletehappy chinese new year!
ReplyDeleteand nice photos:)
xx
happy chinese new year!!! in Hawaii, we would celebrate it in chinatown with that huge dragon who would eat (or was it give?) you money in an envelope. and gau (sp?) was sooooooo good.
ReplyDeletelove the polaroids! i'm really thinking about getting one now that i'm back in japan hehe
woah fuji instax does cost a lot!
ReplyDeletebut the pics are good, look so vintage
Happy New Lunar Year! Gong xi ni!
LOL I'm a chinese (hua jiao) myself and we have stuffs like those too every year on Lunar new year.
So do you get a lot of red envelopes?
We call them 'ang pao' / 'hong bao' here in my country ;)
Castor Pollux
Hi my dear-wishing you a Happy Chinese New Year, your meal sounds so lovely-have a great weekend!
ReplyDeletehappy new year :)
ReplyDeletegorgeous post!! x
Hi Winnie :) Happy Chinese new year, I'm glad u had a nice one :) Mine is so exhausted. Me and my fiance made ifumie and wanton. They're taste so funny, lol.
ReplyDeleteI like your little envelope. We use the regular style here :S
Please visit my blog. Hope you enjoy my post too.
xo,
Indi.
aww, sounds like so much fun!! i love the photo of the clementines (:
ReplyDeleteAnd to you my dear!
ReplyDeleteLove Grace.
lovely picture
ReplyDeletehttp://ladymitroz.blogspot.com/
Happy CNY! all the best for this year of Rabbit <333
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese new year Winnie! The photos are beautiful I love the decorations
ReplyDeletewell i'll be making sure i'm at LFW on sunday to see you then!
ReplyDeletei purposely took a long cut through china town this week just to see all the decorations, it looked amazing. have a lovely time! xxc
i love these shots you have taken. i'm not sure i'v quite got to grips with mine yet! and oh the film is so bloody expensive isn't it!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year! Love the cards, the pictures look so cute
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese New Year- I love all your decorations.that is seriously expensive film though!
ReplyDeleteMy friend at work brought in fortune cookies for us to celebrate- I love appropriating others' holidays for my own! I get even more celebrations!
Your first word really make me jealous. I really love those fuji instax but I'm still thinking should I buy it or not. Happy Chinese New Year anyway!
ReplyDeleteHappy Chinese New Year!
ReplyDeleteYour celebrations sound absolutely wonderful, it all must be so much fun!
I make an effort to attend Soho's Chinatown every year and I love the vibrancy and festivities that go on, it must be so cool to experience all of that in your own house
All the best for the coming year
Really pretty photos! I was in chinatown today and the street was still covered with red streamers haha
ReplyDeleteAlso I love your blog header so much.
ReplyDeletelove your fotos x
ReplyDeleteLooks beautiful!
ReplyDeleteJuliet xxx
great pics, happy new year to you too :)
ReplyDeleteNice photos:)
ReplyDeleteHAppy Chinese New Year! I love those ornaments and decorations you have in your house. :)SArahD
ReplyDeleteGong hei fat choi! I ate myself silly that day! Yum yum. Nice instax pics. Shame the film is so darn expensive or we could all be snapping away ^_~ not looking forward to buying my film when I run out...eek. A great camera nonetheless^o^
ReplyDelete